Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Minute Muffin

Ever since my boy has started going to school ALL day, I have experimented with healthy breakfasts that will keep him full till he gets to lunch. Of course it also has to taste good or I would have a very unhappy boy every morning! He never complains about how hungry he is when I give him these muffins in the morning and he LOVES the taste!
I started blogging about these microwave minute muffins a while back! They are so easy to make, healthy, and really YUMMY!!!
Over the months we have experimented with many different combinations of this muffin! It's fun to ask my children what they feel like adding to their muffin each time we make them. Here is my first post on the Morning Muffin & I also posted about a Carrot Cake Muffin!
Naturally, I had to experiment with pumpkin and come up with my FAVORITE combination, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip muffin!
Here is what you will need:
  • 1/4 cup of flour (any kind)
  • 1/4 cup of ground flax
  • 1 egg
  • 1/8- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
  • 2 Tablespoons pumpkin puree
  • 1 Tablespoon milk (or substitute)
  • 2 teaspoons of sweetener (I use maple syrup)
  • 1 teaspoon Coconut oil (or butter)
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon 
  • 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • pinch of nutmeg *optional
  • pinch of cloves *optional
  • 1 Tablespoon yogurt plain/vanilla *optional
  • 1 Tablespoon of chia seeds *optional
  • Grated Carrot *optional

 Simply mix all of the ingredients together in a large mug and throw in the microwave for 2 minutes!
Make sure you mix all the dry ingredients well. It helps me to add the wet ingredients to the mug first.
If you add the optional yogurt, your muffin might need an extra 30 seconds in the microwave because of added moisture!
Then dump on a plate, cut up, and eat!
      
No matter what muffin I make I alway shave two baby carrots in it! I love the added nutrition!
 Another ingredient I always add no matter what muffin I am making is Chia seeds. They are normally pretty expensive, however, Trader Joe's is now selling a 5.3oz bag for $4.99.
Here is a little more information about the health benefits of Chia seeds:

  • Chia seeds are hydrophillic, meaning then can absorb over 10 times their weight in water. This makes them great for hydration, as they absorb the water we drink and hold it in our bodies.
  • Eating chia seeds slows down how fast the body converts carbohydrates into simple sugars. This leads scientists to believe chia seeds may have huge benefits to diabetics.
  • Chia seeds have 5 times the calcium of milk, 2 times the potassium of bananas, 3 times the iron of spinach and 3 times the antioxidants of blueberries!
  •  Chia seeds have more omega-3′s than flax! And, unlike flax, chia seeds do not have to be ground to be digested and can be stored for years without going rancid.
  • 19-23% of the seed’s weight is protein. Like quinoa, it contains a complete amino acid chain, giving your body complete protein on par with meat or eggs.
  • Chia seeds reduce your cravings for sweets and junk foods because its high levels of soluble fiber allow for a measured release of unrefined carbs into the bloodstream. This is the opposite of a sugar rush and crash which creates more cravings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...