Friday, March 15, 2013

Starbucks Banana Walnut Bread with Healthy Changes

I was craving Banana bread one day so I searched for a good recipe. I happened to come across the actual recipe that Starbucks uses! I was surprised to see that it was pretty healthy to begin with and with just a few changes it would be PERFECT! I will give you the original Starbucks recipe and then show you the changes I made next to it! 
Also, let me tell you this is the PERFECT recipe.... So moist!

Starbucks Banana Walnut Bread
  • 2 Cups flour (I used whole wheat but you can use what ever you want here. I just suggest not using white!....For gluten free use buckwheat)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 egg (for vegan you can use applesauce or flax meal)
  • 1 1/8 cup sugar ( I used 1/2 cup of 100% Maple Syrup. You can also use other sweeteners but you really don't need as much as they use in original recipe. The bananas really help to sweeten!)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used Coconut oil)
  • 2 Tbsp buttermilk (I used regular milk or you could also used another milk substitute)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 large ripe bananas-mashed
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts for inside the bread
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts for on top
  • *Optional*three large handfuls of dark chocolate chips
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a loaf pan.


Mash your bananas and walnuts in ziplock bags. Then set aside.
If you have kids helping you, this is a fun job to give them!
 Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt....set aside.
Mix egg, sweetener, and oil until combined.
   
 Add the flour mixture and blend!
 Then add the milk, vanilla, and mashed bananas and mix until combined!
   
 Fold in your chopped walnuts and *optional* dark chocolate chips. I didn't mention this above but I made this recipe a few times already because it's THAT good!!!!! One time I added a half cup of chopped spinach, that I ran through the food processor, and it didn't change the taste of the bread! Just simply added nutrition! However, you could see green specks.... letting you know if you have a REALLY picky eater! 
I highly recommend adding1/2 cup of some kind of veggie puree to this recipe!
 Add to your bread pan, top with remaining walnuts, and bake 45-60 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the center comes out pretty clean!
 The bread tastes the BEST if you let it sit just to cool for 10 minutes and then serve warm! 
SOOOOO YUMMY!!!! However, still good to eat the next day! 

 When you cut this bread up in thick slices, it LOOKS just like you bought them at Starbucks but you don't have to pay 2 bucks a piece! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...