Friday, November 22, 2013

Healthy Chicken Enchiladas(kid friendly)

 This is a family FAVORITE!!!! I make this a couple times a month and everyone raves about them even though they have had them so much! I think, out of the many things I have concocted, this is my husbands favorite! He always asks for me to make it! My husband LOVES spicy food but I don't normally make it because of the kids! One of the great things about this recipe is that it can be made spicy and mild all in the same dish!!! 
This next step is very difficult for me because I NEVER measure anything out when making this! I am going to give you a recipe to go by and you can change it up to your tastebuds and/or what you have in your kitchen at the time!

What you will need:
  • Two chicken breasts
  • about 2 cups of processed raw vegetables 
  • 1-2 cups of frozen spinach
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (drained)
  • 1 can enchilada sauce(or make your own)
  • about 2 cups of shredded cheese
  • one package of tortillas(or you can use crepes)
  • season with salt and pepper
First thing I do is cook my chicken, then you can shred it or cut it up into little chunks.
Set aside.
   
Next you are going to process your raw veggies. For this particular recipe I used, 1/2 a green bell pepper, a handful of carrots, 1 zucchini, and 3 green onions. Then blend it in your food processor!
   
 As you can see all of this equals 2 cups! 
Just to let you know, you can use just about any veggie in this step. A tip that I found is bell pepper and onion add good flavor to this dish!
 The next step is to heat up your diced tomatoes, frozen spinach, and processed veggies in a pan, about 5 minutes. Then add your chicken and seasoning. Stir together about 1 minute and remove from heat.
   
 This next step is Optional! My kids like me to make crepes instead of using tortillas. They really make this dish TASTY! Click the picture below to see how I make my crepes with options for dairy free and you can make them Gluten Free by using Buckwheat flour.
 These tortilla are my "secret" ingredient! I LOVE these Chile & Onion flour tortillas from Trader Joes! They add a little spice to the dish! 
OK, so this is normally what I do! I have normal tortillas/crepes for half the pan(the kids half) and Chile & Onion tortillas for the other half! If you don't have a Trader Joe's by you just use whatever tortillas you like.
 Next add your chicken and veggie mix to the middle of your tortillas and top with a little cheese.
roll the tortilla up and put it fold down in your pan.
   
 Now that you have your pan full... you get out your enchilada sauce! This is the step that I want to change... I buy the cheap sauce from target... this is not the healthiest option but I do it because of time and flavor. I have tried many different sauces and so far Target red mild is my FAVORITE!!!!! 
If I ever find an EASY& healthy recipe for enchilada sauce I might add it to this post...

I add the sauce to the "adult" side of the dish.
My kids, like most, think the sauce too spicy so try no to let it touch over to their side of the dish!
Then I top the whole thing with cheese!
 Put in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until cheese slightly browned.
 Here it is... Fresh out of the oven!!!
A picture of the adult side with spicy tortilla and topped with red sauce & cheese.
 
A picture of the kids side with crepe topped with cheese!

4 comments:

  1. Coleen made this for my family after my son was born and they were a HIT!! My Mom even raved about these and said they were the best enchiladas she's EVER had! Thank you for the recipe, I can't wait to make them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise I typed your name correct, my keyboard just misplaced an L.

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad you all liked them! It's great when you can make a recipe with a lot of veggies and not even notice!!! =]

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...